Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Japanese people love Aerosmith, seriously

Lou emailed my keitai: "I'm at the Latin Quarter." My reply:
"Why?"
The Latin Quarter is a pretty typical Japanese bar where salary-men go to get tanked after work. I always roll my eyes at the notion of going there, but I inevitably end up having a good time. Small doses. And truthfully, the Latin Quarter is somewhat of an oasis in the sea of snack and hostess bars that line the streets of Karato. Plus the bartender will never forget your name, even after a nine month absence.
Even though it was a school night, I decided to go as it is just downstairs and around the corner and no one ever partys in Shimono-sucky. As soon as I walked in I was told that Stirling, decked out in his new jinbe, had just won ice cream for everyone in a fierce janken (rock, scissors, paper) battle with some dude that he had just met and among whose friends he was now ingratiated. Determined not to make new friends myself, I sat at the bar and gossiped with Wakako. But then that thing that always happens happens, despite one's best efforts to be cool. Once the karaoke gets fired up, its pretty hard not to get a little crazy, and the next thing you know, you're singing Aerosmith's "Don't Want to Miss a Thing" with everyone in the bar.
















No comments: