Friday, May 25, 2007

Jitensha


I just got my third bike in Japan. It's a rusted out piece of shit that LeeAnne's ex-boyfriend left behind. The lock is permanently rusted open and the breaks scream but don't really brake. Considering my last two decent bikes were stolen, I figure that a beat up old mamachari (old lady bike) will keep the thieves at bay. Japan is supposed to be all crime-free and shit, but people will steal the hell out of some bicycles and umbrellas. The adults blame the jr. high school students, but I have definitely seen some drunk salary-men riding home on bikes that weren't theirs. Everyone blames the foreigners and perhaps not without some just cause (you know who you are). Some lessons I've learned from my various bike ordeals:

1. Never leave your bike at Seamall after dark. Same goes for in front of the station, outside the office (anytime of day), at the grocery store, in front of any izakaya or bar or really anywhere other than inside your apartment. No one in Japan steals from people's apartments.

2. Never buy a new bike. You'll have to do the same thing the very next week.

3. Never get drunk and take a taxi home thinking, "I'll come back and get my bike tomorrow." It won't be there. Promise.

4. Never ride your bike to the station if you are going on an overnight trip. Or if you do, expect to take a bus back to your apartment.

5. Use multiple locks. It sounds paranoid, but the built in tire locks don't work for shit.

6. Walk. It takes longer, but in the end it is a whole lot cheaper.


No comments: